FC Bayern Munchen is a German sports club based in the city of Munich, Bavaria. The football wing of the club currently features in the German Bundesliga. Bayern are the most successful german club of all time with 30 German league championships and five European Cup crowns.
The club was founded on February 27, 1900 by eleven footballers led by Franz John. Bayern joined the first regional Bavarian league, the Kreisliga, in the 1910-1911 season and won the title that season.
Bayern Munich won the German championship in 1932 for the first time in their history and after the World War II, they became part of a the southern conference of the German first division, the Oberliga Sud. In 1956 they won their first German Cup.
Bayern were not admitted to the inaugural German Bundesliga in 1963 but two years later they were promoted to the Bundesliga and finished third in their first Bundsliga season and won the German Cup that season.
Next season they won the European Cup Winners’ Cup by defeating Scottish Giants Rangers in the final. In the 1970s, Bayern dominated Europe along with Dutch powerhouse Ajax Amsterdam as they won the European Cup for three successive years from 1974 to 1976 led by a certain Franz Beckenbauer.
Bayern continued dominating proceedings in Germany in the 1980s and 1990s but they would not win the UEFA Champions League until the 2000-2001 season when they defeated Spanish side Valencia on penalties in the final. Two years earlier in 1999, they had lost the Champions League final to Premiership giants Manchester United in sensational fashion at Camp Nou.
Bayern Munich won the German Bundesliga in the 2007-2008 campaign and also won the German Cup in 2008. Bayern Munich play their home matches at the Allianz Arena that can house a total of 69,901 spectators. Previously they used to play at the Olympic Stadium in Munich and moved to their current ground at the start of the 2005-2006 season.
Bayern Munich bear the nicknames the FCB, “die Bayern” means the Bavarians, the Reds and in negative way FC Hollywood, die Bauern (means farmer) and die Bazis (bavarian slang means scallywage). Bayern Munich’s current head coach is Hans-Dieter Flick and the club’s current chairman is legendary Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
The main rivals are TSV 1860 Munich, 1. FC Nuernberg, and Hamburger SV. Bayern Munich has got the most fan-clubs in Germany but also the most anti-fan-clubs in Germany.
- German Championship/Bundesliga Champions: (30) 1932, 1968–69, 1971–72, 1972–73, 1973–74, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1984–85, 1985–86, 1986–87, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1993–94, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20
- DFB-Pokal Winners: (20) 1956-57, 1965–66, 1966–67, 1968–69, 1970–71, 1981–82, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1997–98, 1999–2000, 2002–03, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2018–19, 2019–20
- DFB/DFL-Supercup Winners (7): 1987, 1990, 2010, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018
- DFL-Ligapokal Winners (6): 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2007
- UEFA Champions League / European Cup Winners (5): 1973–74, 1974–75, 1975–76, 2000–01, 2012–13
- UEFA Europa League / UEFA Cup Winners (1): 1995–96
- UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup Winners (1): 1966–67
- UEFA Super Cup Winners (1): 2013
- Intercontinental Cup Winners (2): 1976, 2001
- FIFA Club World Cup Winners (1): 2013