The Super Smash T20, known by its 2023 sponsorship name – Dream 11 Super Smash Presented by KFC, is a New Zealand-based T20 Cricket competition that is played in different cities in New Zealand.
If you are looking for all the Dream 11 Super Smash information, which includes the different squads, live streaming options, schedule, and predictions, for this edition of the Super Smash, along with how to buy their tickets, you can read below.
Super Smash was established in the 2005-2006 season. It is played in a double round-robin, elimination final, and final format.
The tournament is administered by New Zealand Cricket.
The tournament started known as the New Zealand Twenty20 Competition in the 2005-2006 season. The name was later changed to State Twenty20 for the 2006-2007 season and it remained so until the 2008-2009 season.
From 2009-2010 to 2012-2013, it was the HRV Cup and in the 2013-2014 season, it was called the HRV Twenty20.
The completion was renamed to Super Smash in the 2014-2015 season and the sponsors also started exercising their naming rights. They are as follows:
- Georgie Pie – from 2014–15 to2015–16
- McDonald’s – 2016–17
- Burger King – from 2017–18 to2018–19
- Dream11 – from 2019–20 to present(sponsorship contract expires in2026
The following teams have always participated in the tournament since it was established.
Winners of Previous Editions:
- 2005-06 - Canterbury Wizards beat the Auckland Aces
- 2006-07 - Auckland beat Otago Volts
- 2007-08 - Central Stags beat Northern Knights
- 2008-09 - Otago Volts beat Canterbury Wizards
- 2009-10 - Central Stags beat Auckland Aces
- 2010-11 - Auckland Aces beat Central Stags
- 2011-12 - Auckland Aces beat Canterbury Wizards
- 2012-13 - Otago Volts beat Wellington Firebirds
- 2013-14 - Northern Knights beat Otago Volts
- 2014-15 - Wellington Firebirds beat Auckland Aces
- 2015-16 - Auckland Aces beat Otago Volts
- 2016-17 - Wellington Firebirds beat Central Stags
- 2017-18 - Knights beat Central Stags
- 2018–19 - Central Stags beat the Northern Knights
- 2019–20 - Wellington Firebirds beat the Auckland Aces
- 2020–21 - Wellington Firebirds beat the Canterbury Kings
- 2021–22 - Hamilton beat the Canterbury Kings
- 2022–23 - Northern Brave beat the Canterbury Kings
The Canterbury Wizards won the inaugural edition of the event. They have not won since but have been runner-up a number of times. The most recent winners are the Northern Brave who beat the Canterbury in the 2022-2023 season.
Current Super Smash T20 Format
Super Smash uses a double round-robin, elimination final, and final format.
Each of the six teams plays the remaining five teams in the competition on a home and away basis, making it 10 matches during the league stages.
The top team, placed number one at the top of the table, qualifies for a home final while teams ranked second and third will play off for a place in the final.
Where to Buy Tickets
You can purchase tickets to Super Smash directly from the website - https://www.supersmash.co.nz/
How to Watch
The competition is streamed via TVNZ for local audiences. Spark Sport also has the right to broadcast live coverage of the event.
Here is the guide for other countries.
In India, you can watch the matches via FanCode, which is run by Dream Sports. They have partnered with New Zealand Cricket for the rights to stream the competition.
Those in the United Kingdom may watch via BT Sport 3. If you are watching from South Africa, you can watch from SuperSport, and if you are in the United States, ESPN+ has the broadcasting rights.
In Australia, you can watch it via Fox Cricket.
The matches for the 2023-2024 edition are still being announced. Matches will usually start in December.