Tennis Article

Federer Makes Early Exit at Monte Carlo Masters

Jurgen Melzer felt pretty good after defeating former world number 1 Roger Federer at the quarter-final of the Monte Carlo Masters on Friday. This is Federer’s earliest exit since last year’s Wimbledon, and his first exit from his first clay court tournament for the season. He had already expected to face a bit of difficulty with the surface, which did not disappoint.

“It was still the first week of clay, so I don’t expect myself to play my very best. If I would, that would be a pleasant surprise,” Federer confessed after the match. This defeat is also the first time that he was defeated by a player other than Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic and the first time that he has lost to another left-handed player aside from Nadal. Federer made a few good shots, but he acknowledged that he did waste a few break points.

“Obviously, I wasted way too many break-point chances today, which was unfortunate,” the Swiss champion said. The weather also did not help any, with strong winds that surged just after the first set.

Melzer who came in at 7th seed, had also beaten Nadal and Djokovic in the past. This win over Federer officially caps his victories over the three world champions.

“I have beaten Rafa last year. I have beaten Nole (Djokovic). So this was the one missing,” Melzer said.

He sealed his most recent victory after Federer sent a weak forehand shot into the net. He is slated to face 4th-seeded David Ferrer, who defeated 11th seed Viktor Troicki earlier.

Maree cartujano
Sports Pundit staff writer @pebbykins
Sportspundit contributor/writer since 2008. I’m an internet nut – but not the kind that spends the hours ogling at some overrated social media site

What's Your Take?

Reply to Profile image
0 comments
Loading