The injury that kept Wimbledon runner-up, Nick Kyrgios, from playing in the Australian Open has been operated and the player reports that the surgery has been “a great success”.
He is targeting a return in March and is expecting to be fit enough to play at the Indian Wells ATP Masters.
Kyrgios went under the knife on Monday in Canberra. Earlier he had pulled out of the Grand Slam and had said he was devastated about having to do so.
“The surgery was a great success,” said Kyrgios’ manager Daniel Horsfall.
“We couldn’t have been more pleased with the outcome of it. Now we will be pushing ahead for a speedy recovery and are aiming to see everyone at Indian Wells.”
On Instagram, Kyrgios shared a photo of himself after his surgery with the caption:
“Surgery complete, I’ll be doing everything I can do to get back to my best. To the real ones checking in and sending the vibes…. I love you.”
The surgery was done to remove a cyst in the lateral meniscus of his knee.
A week before the Australian Open, he had undergone an MRI to check the issue he had been having with his knee.
His physio Will Maher told reporters, at the time: “There’s a parameniscal cyst growing in his left meniscus, which is the result of a small tear in his lateral meniscus.”