Novak Djokovic to Resume Season at Paris Masters in Bercy

Novak Djokovic to Resume Season at Paris Masters in Bercy Photo: TT
Novak Djokovic during the men's singles final of the US Open. Sept. 12, 2021, in New York. Photo Credit: AP Photo/John Minchillo.

The World No. 1 confirms his schedule until the end of the season, set to resume at the Paris Masters 1000 next month.

Novak Djokovic has not played on Tour since the U.S. Open final, which he lost to World No. 2 Daniil Medvedev in New York last September.

After not being able to succeed in his bid to achieve the calendar-year Grand Slam, the 34-year-old commented: “The buildup for this tournament, and everything that mentally, emotionally, I had to deal with throughout the tournament in the last couple of weeks, was just a lot. It was a lot to handle.

A few weeks later, the Serbian would withdraw from Indian Wells, and whether or not he would return to the tennis courts in 2021 remained a mystery until today.

In an exclusive interview with the Serbian publication Blic, Djokovic revealed he is just back on-court training at the Novak Tennis Center, further announcing his schedule for the remainder of the 2021 season.

The Rolex Paris Masters 1000 will be the 20-time Grand Slam champion first stop on Tour. Next, he plans to contest the Nitto ATP Finals, rounding out his season defending his country in the Davis Cup.

The 34-year-old has enjoyed an outstanding season, capturing three of the four Grand Slams, Australian Open, French Open, and the Wimbledon Championships.

WILL DJOKOVIC PLAY THE 2022 AUSTRALIAN OPEN?

When asked about his appearance at the first major of the 2022 season, the Australian Open held in Melbourne, Djokovic said he doesn’t know if he will play in Australia next year.

However, he revealed his manager is in contact with the Australian Federation in order to follow the situation regarding the restrictions the local government might impose due to the ongoing global pandemic.

Earlier this year, special conditions for the Australian Open participants were in place. Overall, 72 players entered into a strict 14-day quarantine ahead of the tournament.

Two months ago, Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula told Melbourne radio station SEN he was confident about the tournament going ahead in 2022, further adding: “It’s hard to be certain about anything right now. What I’m very clear on, what I’m very sure about, is that the rules for unvaccinated players and the rules for vaccinated players, I’m quite confident will be very different.

For his part, Tennis Australia, CEO, Craig Tiley, stated: “As far as vaccinations (go), we’re hoping as a nation that well be at the target of 80 percent-plus by the time we get to November, and that will certainly help the situation for the event in January.

There’s a lot of time between now and when we get going, but at this point of time, we’re planning on having a bubble, a two-week bubble, where the players will be able to move freely between the hotel and the courts.”

Adding: “Previously, we had quarantine, but now we’re looking at more of a bubble-type scenario.”

Quarantine requirements or vaccination conditions for international players are yet to be revealed. A final decision from the Government of Australia and Tennis Australia is expected to be announced in the upcoming weeks.

Djokovic has been one of the players who’s been skeptical about the vaccine, declining to reveal his Covid-19 vaccination status.

Cecilia demartini
Sports Pundit staff writer @ceci_2812
Cecilia is a writer and a journalist passionate about sports, particularly motorsport, tennis, and soccer

Comment on This Article

0 comments
Reply to
Loading