Based in Rosario, Club Atletico Rosario Central was founded in 1889, and is currently the 6th most popular team in Argentina. At the time of founding, the club was known as the Central Argentine Railway Athletic Club and included English railway workers of Central Argentine Railway company, as members. All activities were conducted in English, and the first club president was Colin Calder. In 1903, the company took over Buenos Aires and Rosario Railway, and the club was then renamed to Club Atletico Rosario Central.
With Newell’s Old Boys as major rivals, the team’s original jersey colors were white and red, but later it changed to checkered blue and white, and then finally to blue and gold vertical stripes, which can be seen even today.
Till 1939, the team played in the local league, and then joined the Argentine league, at the same time as old rivals Newell’s Old Boys. In 1942 and 1951, Central was relegated and both times they bounced back in the very next season.
In 1971, Central, with Angel Labruna as coach, had a spectacular victory, when they won the Nacional championship. They repeated the act again in 1973, and marked it as the first of their long list of achievements. The second win was with Carlos Timoteo Griguol as coach.
In 1974, Mario Kempes joined Central, leaving Instituto Atletico Central Cordoba, and they went on to win the Campeonato Argentino 1974, though the win was not considered as an official championship win by AFA. But the team still acknowledges the win and they have six stars instead of the five official titles, on their badge.
Their next title win came after seven years, in the form of the Nacional championship title, as Angel Tulio Zof sat on the bench. Nicknamed La Sinfonica or symphony orchestra, the team was particularly known for its beautiful playing style. In 1985, following a lean period, the team was once again relegated, but as always returned in the following year itself. They further went on to win the 1986-87 championship title as well, a first in Argentine football.
Their only international title, till date is the CONMEBOL Cup, which they won in 1995, and they have further participated in ten seasons of Copa Libertadores, finishing third behind Boca Juniors and River Plate.
The team stadium is the Gigante de Arroyito, and it is located at the confluence of Genova Avenue and Avellaneda Boulevard. The stadium has the capacity to seat nearly 45,000 people, even though the official capacity if of 41,654.
Some of its popular former players include Eduardo Solari, Carlos Aimer, Mario Kempes, Marcelo Delgado amongst many others.