Aston Villa Football Club is an English football club based in the city of Birmingham. They were the founding members of the Football League in 1888 and the Premier League in 1992.
Aston Villa were founded in 1874 and are on of the oldest and most successful football clubs in England. The club was formed by members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel. Their first trophy was the Birmingham Senior Cup in 1880.
Aston Villa won the FA Cup in 1887 and were one of the 12 original members of the Football League in 1888. In 1897 Villa did the league and FA Cup double. Villa continued to win silverware at various intervals. However, in the late 1960s there was a takeover and managerial changes. But in the 1980s Aston Villa back into national prominence as they won the league in the 1980-1981 season.
The Villans won the 1981-1982 European Cup as they beat Bayern Munich in the final in Rotterdam. Aston Villa finished runners-up to Manchester United in the 1992-1993 inaugural English Premier League season and two League Cups in the 1990s. Following relegation from the Premier League in 2015-2016, Chinese businessman Tony Xia bought the club, before they won promotion back to the top flight via the 2019 playoffs under Dean Smith.
They play their home matches at Villa Park, which can hold a crowd of 42,640 people. Aston Villa have a huge rivalry with West Browmich Albion and Birmingham City.
- First Division/Premier League Champions (7): 1893–94, 1895–96, 1896–97, 1898–99, 1899–1900, 1909–10, 1980–81
- Second Division/First Division/Championship Champions (2): 1937–38, 1959–60
- Third Division/Second Division/League One Champions (1): 1971–72
- FA Cup Winners (7): 1886–87, 1894–95, 1896–97, 1904–05, 1912–13, 1919–20, 1956–57
- League Cup Winners (5): 1960–61, 1974–75, 1976–77, 1993–94, 1995–96
- European Cup/UEFA Champions League Winners (1): 1981–82
- European Super Cup/UEFA Super Cup Winners (1): 1982
|n/a||Leon Bailey Butler||midfielder|