Ronald Koeman is a former professional football player and manager. From 2020-2021, he managed FC Barcelona, the team that he also played for from 1989 to 1995. In 1988, while he played for PSV Eindhoven, he helped the team win the UEFA European Championship.
Player Profile and Personal Life
Ronald Koeman was born in Zaandam, Netherlands on March 21, 1963. He stands 181 cm tall. His older brother Erwin Koeman, coached for the Oman National Team. They were the first set of brothers who coached two different nations at the same time.
Koeman is married to Bartina Koeman and they have a son Roland Koeman Jr. who is a professional goalkeeper and has played for SC Telstar and Erste Divisie. After a cancer scare, he became an anti-smoking advocate. In 2021, he was the subject of the movie Foca Koeman, which focused on his transfer to coaching FC Barcelona.
He became a senior football player at 17 years old after he signed with Groningen. He would go on to spend three years with the team, making 90 appearances and 32 goals. After that, he signed with Ajax and helped them win the KNVB Cup in the 1985-1986 season.
In 1986, he signed with PSV Eindhoven and also helped them with the KNVB Cup twice. In addition, they also won the 1987-1988 European Cup while Koeman was part of their lineup. He stayed with PSV through to 1989 when he was signed by FC Barcelona.
At Barcelona, he helped them win La Liga titles four times. He was also instrumental in then winning the European Cup in the 1991-1992 season coming in second place in the 1993-1994 season. The last club he played for was Feyenoord. He was with them from 1995 to 1997.
Right after he retired from professional football, he started managing the Netherlands National Football Team and was their assistant coach for a season. He then jumped over to coaching FC Barcelona for the 1998-1999 season.
- Eredivisie - 1984–85
- KNVB Cup - 1985–86
- Eredivisie - 1986–87, 1987–88,1988–89
- KNVB Cup - 1987–88, 1988–89
- European Cup - 1987–88
- La Liga - 1990–91, 1991–92, 1992–93,1993–94
- Copa del Rey - 1989–90
- Supercopa de España - 1991, 1992,1994
- European Cup - 1991–92 Runner Up1993–94
- European Super Cup - 1992
- UEFA European Championship - 1988
- Dutch Footballer of the Year - 1987,1988
- UEFA European Championship Team ofthe Tournament - 1988
- UEFA Champions League top scorer -1993–94
- UEFA Golden Jubilee Poll - No. 26
- Eredivisie - 2001–02, 2003–04
- KNVB Cup - 2001–02
- Johan Cruyff Shield - 2002
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira - 2005
- Eredivisie - 2006–07
- Copa del Rey - 2007–08
- Johan Cruyff Shield - 2009
- UEFA Nations League runner-up -2018–19
- Copa del Rey - 2020–21
- Rinus Michels Award - 2012
- Premier League Manager of the Month
- September 2014, January 2015, January 2016
- 1983–1994 - Netherlands
- 1997–1998 - Netherlands (assistant)
- 1998–1999 - Barcelona (assistant)
- 2000–2001 - Vitesse
- 2001–2005 - Ajax
- 2005–2006 - Benfica
- 2006–2007 - PSV Eindhoven
- 2007–2008 - Valencia
- 2009 - AZ Alkmaar
- 2011–2014 - Feyenoord
- 2014–2016 - Southampton
- 2016–2017 - Everton
- 2018–2020 - Netherlands
- 2020–2021 - Barcelona