The 37-year-old Portuguese has been unsettled for the past six months at Old Trafford, having tried to force a move during the off-season, before slipping down the pecking order under new manager Erik ten Hag.
All that came to a head after Ronaldo’s interview with Piers Morgan where he claimed he was “betrayed” by the club.
United said they would take the “appropriate steps” following that interview last week, before confirming his exit on Tuesday.
“Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect,” the United statement said.
“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.
“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the teams progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”
It is understood there was no pay-out with both parties eager to move on following the recent fallout.
“Following talks with Manchester United, weve mutually agreed to end our contract,” Ronaldo said in a statement.
“I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. It feels like the right time to seek a new challenge. I wish Man Utd all the best.”