Napoli: We Won't Sign Cristiano Ronaldo in January

Napoli: We Won't Sign Cristiano Ronaldo in January
Cristiano Ronaldo - Photo 188187217 © Fabio Diena | Dreamstime.com

Napoli director Cristiano Giuntoli says the club will not be making a move to sign anyone in January let alone unsettledManchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Italian club were linked with Ronaldo in the off-season as he pursued a move away from Old Trafford, with a desire to play UEFA Champions League football.

No move materialize with Napoli distancing themselves from the speculation and the club have since started the new Serie A campaign impressively.

Napoli lead the Scudetto race with 29 points from 11 games, holding a three-point buffer from AC Milan.

The Blues have also managed a joint club record 11 straight victories in all competitions, not achieved since Diego Maradona’s days at the club.

“Ronaldo in January? We won’t sign any player in January,” Giuntoli told DAZN.

“We dont need to change anything in this team. We’re doing great and we’re not planning any signing, as of today.”

Ronaldo’s future at United is in doubt after he refused to come on as a substitute in last week’s Premier League clash with Tottenham, heading for the changerooms before the full-time whistle.

The 37-year-old has been relegated to a bit-part role under Erik ten Hag this season, making 12 appearances in all competitions, with only two coming in the Premier League. He has scored two goals this season.

Ronaldo was suspended by the club for Saturday’s 1-1 drew with Chelsea following his walk-out but has returned to training this week.

Ben somerford
Sports Pundit staff writer @bensomerford
Australian journalist who specialises on all sports, focusing on football, tennis, basketball and racing, having written for global publications including FourFourTwo, AAP, Inside Futbol and many more....

Comment on This Article

0 comments
Reply to
Loading