Fulham boss Scott Parker has fumed about the Premier League’s decision to hastily re-arrange their midweek fixture with Tottenham offering the club short notice.
Tottenham will take on Fulham on Wednesday in the Premier League, although the fixture was only confirmed on Monday after Spurs clash with Aston Villa was postponed due to the Villans’ COVID-19 outbreak.
Fulham had been preparing to play Chelsea on Friday and, according to Parker, only were officially told about the re-arranged midweek game on Monday morning, which he labelled “scandalous”.
“The possibility of playing Spurs on Wednesday came on Saturday,” Parker said. “We didn’t think that was realistic and we were informed Monday morning at 9:30. To confirm that on Monday morning is scandalous.
“I accept we have to play the game, but it’s the notice.”
Parker added: “Villa fielded an under-18/23 team in the cup. Therefore their game versus Spurs is likely to get cancelled after their well documented Covid outbreak, so tell us we could have a game.
“Be proactive. If we’d known last Thursday it wouldn’t be a problem.”
Despite that, the game will go ahead with Tottenham hopeful Steven Bergwijn and Erik Lamela will return, while Giovani Lo Celso will miss with injury.
Manchester City play host to Brighton & Hove Albion earlier on Wednesday, with the Sky Blues coming into the game on the back of three straight wins lifting them up to sixth.
City have won six games in all competitions since the December 15, with manager Pep Guardiola revealing a slight modification at training.
“The only difference is we run less. We were running too much - to play football you have to run much less,” Guardiola said.
“Without the ball you have to run but with the ball you have to stay more in position and let the ball run and not you - and we have improved in these games in those terms.”