Football Article

English Premier League 2019-20: Liverpool, Arsenal Win, City Held to a Draw

English Premier League 2019-20: Liverpool, Arsenal Win, City Held to a Draw Photo: TT
Manchester City were held to a draw by Spurs

Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City were all in action on Saturday, the second match-week in the Premier League.

The Gunners continued their winning start to the season by beating Burnley 2-1 at the Emirates.

Arsenal took the lead on 13 minutes when a corner from loan signing Dani Ceballos found Alexander Lacazette at the near post. He was allowed to turn on the six yard box and get his shot away, but Burnley keeper Nick Pope might have done better. Burnley though had several chances to equalise, and finally did just before half-time when a ball from Dwight McNeil found its way to Ashley Barnes, and he poked home from close range.

Arsenal, however, regained the lead when Ceballos charged down a ball which fell to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, and the striker ran forward and struck a shot from 20 yards which flew past Pope in the Burnley goal. The goalkeeper though did well to save from substitute Lucas Torreira’s shot late on, as Burnley tried in vain for as second.

Liverpool also maintained their unbeaten start to the season beating Southampton 2 – 1 away.

Southampton dominated the first half, with Liverpool feeling the after-effects of their efforts in the Europa Super League in midweek, and almost went ahead when Adrian kept out a point blank header from Maya Yoshida up for a corner. But then Liverpool took the lead on the stroke of hall-time through former Southampton player Sadio Mané, who found space on the edge of the box and sent a fine curling shot past Angus Gunn in the home side’s goal.

The second half saw the away side back towards their best and Roberto Firmino missed a clear chance to put his side further ahead, side-footing wide after a flowing move, until the Brazilian did score, drifting across the box before finding the bottom corner. Liverpool, though, gifted Southampton a way back into the match when goalkeeper Adrian passed the ball straight to their former striker Danny Ings who scored from close range. Ings then had a great chance to equalise but he failed to convert from five yards out, and Liverpool held on to win.

Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur drew 2 – 2 at The Etihad. City were dominant from the start and took an early lead when a curling cross from Kevin de Bruyne was headed home by Raheem Stirling. They continued to dominate and it was a real surprise when Spurs equalised with their first serious attack of the game, Erik Lamela finding the net from 22 yards.

Parity did not last long. Another de Bruyne cross saw Sergio Aguero get across his man and flick it into the net to restore City’s lead. That was the way it stood until midway through the second half when Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino made an inspired change, bringing on Lucas Moura for Harry Winks, the Brazilian scoring within 15 seconds of being on the match, meeting a corner with a glancing header.

City thought they had won the match in injury time when Gabriel Jesus scored after a corner, but it was ruled out by VAR for handball in the build-up.

Rajeev mcallister
Sports Pundit staff writer

What's Your Take?

Reply to Profile image