Football Article

English Premier League Round-Up: Liverpool Go to Top After Beating Southampton

English Premier League Round-Up: Liverpool Go to Top After Beating Southampton Photo: TT
Liverpool Top of the Table Again

A number of fixtures were played before and around the FA Cup semi-finals, and before European football returned again.

Watford ensured Fulham’s stay in the Premier League would only be a brief one, beating the Londoners 4 – 1 to relegate them. Watford took the lead through a long range shot from Abdoulaye Doucouré, only for Fulham to temporarily reprieve themselves on the night through a Ryan Babel equaliser. However, Will Hughes rifled the home side back in front, and then Troy Deeney applied a third. Kiko Femenia then applied the coup de grâce.

Meanwhile, Manchester United’s hopes of a top four finish suffered a blow as they went down 2-1 at Wolverhampton Wanderers. United actually took the lead through Scott McTominay’s first goal for the club, only for a defensive mix-up which allowed Diogo Jota to slip the ball home.

Then Ashley Young, the United captain was sent off for two yellow cards in quick succession, and the ten men then succumbed when Chris Smalling inadvertently diverted the ball into his own net.

Chelsea moved above Manchester United in the table by beating Brighton 3 – 0 at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea took the lead in the first half through Olivier Giroud’s flicked finish and then two long-range curled efforts in the second half through Eden Hazard and Ruben Loftus-Cheek confirmed their superiority on the night.

Manchester City went back to the top of the table by beating Cardiff City 2 – 0, taking the lead through Kevin’s de Bruyne’s drive and then doubling their lead before half-time through Leroy Sané. They then eased off in the second-half as they recorded their eighth successive Premier League win.

Tottenham Hotspur finally got to play in their new White Hart Stadium and celebrated by beating Crystal Palace 2 – 0. After a goalless first half it was Son Heung-min who scored the first goal to christen the ground, and Christian Eriksen added a second with ten minutes to go.

Liverpool regained the leadership of the Premier League by beating Southampton 3 – 1 but they were made to work for it after going behind after just 5 minutes, Shane Long with the goal. Naby Keita then headed in the equaliser, his first goal for Liverpool, but it took them until ten minutes from time for them to take the lead, when Mo Salah broke from inside his own half to break his individual goal drought with a fine solo goal. Jordan Henderson then made the points safe with a side foot finish.

Burnley took a massive step towards Premier League survival when they came from behind to win 3 – 1 at Bournemouth. Behind as early as the 4th minute due to an own goal from Ashley Barnes, they were soon level due to Chris Woods’ header, and then took the lead through Ashley Westwood. Ashley Barnes then scored at the right end to make the points safe.

Leicester City thrashed already relegated Huddersfield Town 4 – 1. Leicester took the lead through Youri Tielemans who scored from the edge of the area, and then Jamie Vardy doubled their lead after half-time with a far post finish. Aaron Mooy pulled a goal back from the penalty spot, but James Maddison fired in a free-kick, and then Vardy converted a penalty of his own.

Crystal Palace virtually ensured their Premier League status for another season after beating Newcastle United 1 – 0 at St. James Park. Luka Milovejevic scored the vital goal from the penalty spot, although the match was marred by a serious injury to Newcastle’s Florian Lejeune.

Everton damaged Arsenal’s hopes of a top four finish by beating them 1 – 0 at Goodison Park. The goal came early Phil Jagielka scoring from close-range after Arsenal failed to deal with a long throw, but Everton were the better side throughout and had many more chances to score against a lacklustre Arsenal.

Rajeev mcallister
Sports Pundit staff writer

What's Your Take?

Reply to Profile image