Football Article

English Premier League Results: City, Liverpool Keep Winning

English Premier League Results: City, Liverpool Keep Winning Photo: TT
Liverpool Came Back from Behind to Beat Tottenham

After a two week hiatus for the international break, the Premier League returned with a full round of fixtures and Liverpool and Manchester City kept their appointment for the final week of the season with wins that kept them neck in neck for the title.

In the early kick-off Manchester City regained the lead in the Premiership by beating Fulham 2 – 0 at Craven Cottage. City took an early lead when Bernardo Silva capitalised on a mistake and when further ahead when Sergio Aguero chipped in. They could have scored more goals but chose to conserve their energies for the challenges to come.

Burnley beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 2 – 0 to boost their survival hopes. They were boosted by an early own goal, Conor Coady the unfortunate man as a shot bounced off a post, hitting him and then finding the net. However, there was nothing fortunate about their second, with promising teenager Dwight McNeil drilling in from the edge of the box.

Crystal Palace beat Huddersfield Town 2- 0 , a score line that because of events elsewhere, confirmed Huddersfield’s relegation from the Premier League. The first goal came from the penalty spot, awarded after Wilfried Zaha was brought down, the Palace skipper Luka Milivojevic despatching the spot kick. Patrick van Aanholt then made the points safe sliding the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs.

Leicester City won for the third successive match under new manager Brendan Rodgers beating Bournemouth 2 – 0 at The King Power Stadium. Leicester took the lead through their captain Wes Morgan who flicked a shot in off a post, but had to wait until ten minutes before time when Jamie Vardy headed home the second.

Ole Gunnar Solkskjaer, confirmed as Manchester United manager on a permanent basis during the week, celebrated as his side beat Watford 2 – 1at Old Trafford, despite being the second best team for much of the match. United took the lead when Marcus Rashford raced on to a fine pass from Luke Shaw to fire them ahead, and then doubled their lead when Anthony Martial bundled the ball home, although Watford felt he was offside. Abdoulaye Doucouré pulled a late goal back for the visitors, but it was not enough.

Southampton won the South Coast derby 1 – 0 against Brighton, a result that helped their chances of avoiding the drop but pulled their neighbours back into trouble. One goal was enough to settle it, scored by Saints’ captain Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, although Brighton did hit the bar late on in the match.

In the evening match Everton beat West Ham United 2 – 0. Everton took an early lead when Kurt Zouma headed home a corner, and got the second goal that their play deserved when Bernard turned home a cross from Seamus Coleman. West Ham were better in the second-half but produced little in front of goal.

Chelsea beat Cardiff City 2 – 1 away, but the win was highly controversial. Cardiff took the lead through a Victor Camarasa volley and were full value for their lead until five minutes from time when Cezar Azpilicueta headed an equaliser from a clearly offside position. And then substitute Ruben Loftus-Cheek stole it for Chelsea, who were booed by their own fans, with a late header.

In the big match of the weekend, Liverpool kept their title hopes alive by beating Tottenham Hotspur 2 – 1 at Anfield. Liverpool took the lead through their first meaningful attack of the game when Roberto Firmino headed in Andy Robertson’s inviting cross. They failed to build on it though, and, with 20 minutes left, Lucas Moura got a deserved equaliser for Spurs, who had chances to win it late on themselves. However, in the last minute, Liverpool got the winner when Hugo Lloris could only parry Mo Salah’s header, and the ball hit his own defender, Toby Alderweireld, and trickled into the net.

The final match saw Arsenal climb into third in the table with a comfortable 2 – 0 win over Newcastle United. Arsenal took the lead through Aaron Ramsey, who had seen an earlier effort disallowed by the referee, and largely dominated the game, although they had to wait until ten minutes until the end when Alexander Lacazette lobbed in to make the points safe.

Rajeev mcallister
Sports Pundit staff writer

What's Your Take?

Reply to Profile image