Number switch

Number switch

Reply to Thread
United States Profile image 100x100
# 1

When did Rooney switch from 8 to 10 and why? I went to buy my son the new jersey and they have it as a different number.

# 2

"As we know the number 10 kit us usually worn at all major football clubs by the most representative player of the club." Site below goes into more detail, but it seems as he was promoted. http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/07/01/wayne-rooney-and-the-new-manchester-united-number-10-kit/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fcfootballblog.com%2Fwayne-rooney-and-the-new-manchester-united-number-10-kit%2F&frame=true Sorry for the long paste, but netscape site is being a little oddball today, the page loads a little slow also.

# 3

of course there is always the answer that by switching numbers there is a new spike in merchandise sales as people have to have jerseys with the new numbers....

# 4

Michael Jordan it. Kobe did it. Sells more merchandise.

# 5

Number switching is fairly useless, but maybe if you like another number better? Who the hell knows anymore. Maybe it is for merchandising reasons, but there's better ways to do that than switching numbers.

# 6

agreed that it is useless for practical reasons, but since most sports are based on finance and marketing, that really probably is the biggest reason to do it.

# 7

Maybe it is just an evil corp/marketing ploy, so then all the fans have to go out and purchase new things. Hate to think of things that way, but what seems like its the opinion of most, is usually the correct answer.

# 8

imagine how many jerseys they sold with the old nmber and now doouble it for all the people who want the new jersey

# 9

Imagine it also for all the kids wanting those new #'s more than the adults would. I could see that being a merchandise moving boom.

Reply to Thread