Sourav Gangulay

Sourav Gangulay

Reply to Thread
United States Profile image 100x100
# 1

Gourav Gangulay goes by many names: Dada, Prince of Kolkata, Bengal Tiger and Maharaj. He has an outstanding record as a captain. Although the captaincy was taken from him this year, he remains a team player.

# 2

You know, I can't find anything that really explains why he lost the captaincy. I've heard theories on different forums but none that seem realistic to me. I thought his play was still up to par so what happened?

# 3

You know, I can't find anything that really explains why he lost the captaincy. I've heard theories on different forums but none that seem realistic to me. I thought his play was still up to par so what happened?

India Kavita nambissan
# 4

The fact is that he probably lost the captaincy because the coach, John Buchanan told SRK that he needs to have complete authority over the team if SRK wants the trophy. That meant controlling who is in the team and who is not, who bats where, who is bought, who is sold, etc. etc. It has never been a hidden fact that Ganguly is not liked by coaches who have any sort of authority over his presence in the team. If given a choice, no team would have him because of his work ethics but Ganguly on the field is different from Ganguly in the Nets and that is what John Wright had figured out. Ganguiy can carry the team purely on adrenalin and these Aussie coaches don't understand that.

# 5

I think everyone needs to have a person who can think outside the box and sometimes (as for my own job I can vouch) knowing everything for everyone at any given time can be stressing, but he pulls it off with ease most times.

# 6

In an article on Gangulay's site, he states that a "cricketing decision" was made between SRK, Buchanan and himself. It started when Buchanan started a controversy over the idea of having two team captains. Sounds to me like they gave it to Buchanan and Sourav stepped down. http://www.souravganguly.net/articles/2009/Stripping%20captaincy%20from%20Ganguly%20'cricketing%20decision'%20Shah%20Rukh.htm

# 7

Is that what the media wants us to believe or is that really what happened? I love when you hear months down the line that it was not a mutual decision but only after the fact.

Reply to Thread