Killing the Game

Killing the Game

Reply to Thread
India Kavita nambissan
# 1

Is T-20 killing the true meaning of cricket? Ok guys, tell me this... Players who shine in the t-20 arena can hardly perform on the test arena. For e.g. a Suresh Raina or Ravinder Jadeja can play one day cricket but they are never going to be ready for the Test arena. They are not mature enough and the amount of T-20 around might mean that they never get used to it. Think about the money being paid to these guys to play in the IPL. I mean, if I were bad at test cricket but good at T-20, I would cash in on my strength rather than work on my weakness to earn money. It is a career and if that gets me more money then so be it.... What do you think??

India Anjali nambissan
# 2

Hmmm..... great point Kavita.... but it is a form of the game on its own. Maybe this will mean that we will have THREE separate teams from now on... One for T-20, tests and one-days each.... But yeah, I do believe that it is kinda killing the longer version of the game. I mean, who sits and watches them anymore???

India Aditi verma
# 3

Hey, the Indians are world champions in it, I dont care... bring it on as long as we can win...

India Anjali nambissan
# 4

Yes, but test match cricket has always been considered the real form of cricket and now, because of this new version, its dying out... There aren't many test matches in a tour, mostly 3-match series. One-days go into 5 - 7 for obvious reasons and now, there are at least a couple, if not more, International T-20s with every tour.

India Kavita nambissan
# 5

Anjali, I think we need to accept T-20 as a part of the game. In this fast paced world, there has to be some sort of adaptation. I mean, no one can spend an entire day watching a one-day match, let alone tests. We just watch it in bits and pieces. This is just answering that issue. Also, the short length means that they can be held at late nights, more viewership and gate receipts than a one day even.

India Amar gujral
# 6

I agree, Kavita. It has to be accepted, it is good entertainment and fun to watch for a bit. But, the crucial words are 'a bit.' This fast-food revolution in cricket should not be allowed to rob the sports world of the gourmet offering of test cricket. After all, to quote a cliche, no one wants a McDonalds' everyday. T20 is a street-smart, roadside junkie 'you miss, I hit' kind of a game and it's thrill mainly lies in watching the clever, muscular, adaptable, quick-instinct skills of cricketers. Test cricket, on the other hand, is like protracted war and calls upon much more than just instinct in battle. It calls upon greatness, courage and thought. You must be able to think ahead and plan minutely at the same time, you must be able to engage in combat after combat, and learn to handle both victory and defeat not being too moved by either...god, I could go on and on! Well, no wonder some T20 cricketers can't replicate their success in test cricket. While I can't say for sure whether the two will co-exist, I certainly hope they can. If T20 replaces test cricket, it will be a sad day. It will be the equivalent of a pub DJ's remix trashing Mozart's symphonies. Sorry, this goes beyond cricket...I would just hate to live in that kind of a world.

India Amar gujral
# 7

See how you feel about T20 after the overdoes you are about to get in the next 2-3 months. First the IPL and then the world cup...ICC must be careful, because I think once the novelty factor of T20 dies down, people might just find it too one-dimensional (big sixes, and then...?), and the popularity may dip a little bit...let's see.

India Kavita nambissan
# 8

The popularity will dip cause sixes and fours will become common and people will start hating one-day cricket. No more milking of singles.... no more working through the middle overs... it will all be hit-out or get-out. Reminds me of the Hong Kong Cricket Sixes...

India Aditi verma
# 9

You're right Amar, we are going in for an overdose of masala cricket. Unfortunately, it is what's selling now and that is not pleasant. These two-bit 5-minute cricketers are becoming heroes and are even getting noticed. I think its the best thing that could happen to them as far as getting to the International stage is concerned. Honestly, someone like Yusuf Pathan is working only because the Indian batting is playing so well that even in one-dayers, he has to play a T20-type innings when he gets a chance. I would like to see him work his way through an innings and build up a big score rather than try and hammer away...

India Anjali nambissan
# 10

I remember the Eden Gardens Match where India broke the Aussie dream run of test wins. After Rahul and Laxman had played out of their skins to save the innings defeat, it was down to the wire on the final day. Kumble and Harbhajan were bowling in tandem and almost every ball, since they came on, seemed like it would be a wicket. As Aussie wickets kept tumbling, it was the turn of number 11, Glenn McGrath to walk out and what a walk it was.... 100,000 spectators were shouting, screaming at the top of their lungs, for his head as he walked out into a cauldron... There were flares in the crowds, victory was in sight and the Indians were baying for the Aussie's scalp. You would stay stuck to the television, for an entire day, watching, hoping, screaming in agony on every close miss and every edge that fell short... whining everytime the umpire kept his finger down... it was nail-biting stuff... and in the end, when we won, it was an eruption like never before. Eden Gardens had come alive on that day.... Unfortunately, Twenty Twenty, in all its glory, will NEVER come close to such a feeling...

Reply to Thread