The World Cup's Importance To Pakistan

The World Cup's Importance To Pakistan

Reply to Thread
cricketeer United States Profile image 100x100
# 1

I was reading an interview with Younus Khan. One of the questions asked by the interviewer was, "How important is this World Cup to Pakistan?" I felt that Younus answered both as a team member and a patriot to his country when he said that a victory in the World Cup would mean a lot to his country, especially in the northern region where he is from. There is a lot of unrest in the country right now and a lot of violence. You can read the entire interview at: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1090620/jsp/sports/story_11136714.jsp

sticky United States Profile image 100x100
# 2

I don't really want to coment on his refrence to the unrest other than with the UN stepping in it may provide some relief. The thing is sports of any kind are a great way for poeple to get their minds off of troubles and cheer for something positive. I do agree with you though that it is very patriotic for a player to play for his country. We have seen similar things happen in sports especially olympics for someone to play for something bigger than them and it is great to see a player think of the team and not just themselves. I liked the article it was a good read. I do believe sports should be seperate from politics.

Raemondo United States Profile image 100x100
# 3

Well really he was right. Sports are a uniting thing when its the national team playing-it gives people something to get behind, together. I only hope that it helps them really.

fanganguly United States Profile image 100x100
# 4

I agree that politics adn sports should be kept separate. However, I believe we have all seen the pride of Olympic athletes as they not only compete but represent their respective countries. Also, if I were from a country that was experiencing a lot of unrest, whether it was due to politics or even natural disasters of some sort, I would hope that by playing my best and giving my country something to rally around I could help make a difference.

batgirl United States Profile image 100x100
# 5

I agree, fanganguly. Being a peacemaker myself, it doesn't matter what is causing division in my world, I like to find something positive to be able to rally everyone around.

# 6

Yes, you're right about what the olympics does. Really nothing else gets people of every nation showing their true colours like that does.

cricket fan United States Profile image 100x100
# 7

I have read statements by more than one of the Pakistan players where they have said that the hope the victory in the World Cup will help to increase the interest in cricket in their country. In a small way, it would give the country a common ground, so to speak.

# 8

And of course it might also increase tourism, revenue from that kind of thing. Anything like this is good for a country, and I do wish them well. But of course I don't wish for them to beat England, never!!!

Reply to Thread