Is Soccer more popular than Football?

Is Soccer more popular than Football?

Reply to Thread
DaleJr88Fan United States Profile image 100x100
# 1

Just out of curiosity - do you think soccer is more popular than football, worldwide? How about here in America? I actually went to a college in New York that had a soccer team instead of a football team - and that was back between 1976-1980!

komo United States Profile image 100x100
# 2

Not to be rude or anything but outside of the states, its always called football so you might want to repharse that. I think outside the states yes its damn big of a sport, inside not so much but we are known to be dominating with being big and rough, soccor is about being agile and I can did that more than the us "football".

OnTheBuses United States Profile image 100x100
# 3

Yes indeed, only one country calls it soccer. I never really understood why the US didn't pick a name that wasn't in use. Its a shame soccer isn't more popular in the US.

Goofer Jamaica Profile image 100x100
# 4

To the US' credit, a lot more support and resources are being put in the sport. I think it is growing in popularity although it wont be rivalling football or baseball in popularity any time too soon.

PinchHitter United States Profile image 100x100
# 5

In many countries around the world, Football is one of the most popular, if not THE MOST popular sport around. U.S Football on the other hand has never been huge outside of North America, although there had been efforts to have a NFL league in Europe...which failed pretty miserably.

Joseph United States Profile image 100x100
# 6

Indeed, it is getting better in the US, there's no doubt. I doubt that Beckham would have gone there if it were not.

# 7

Beckham saw an opportunity and the money was good enough for him, so he decided to give it a try. Naturally Beckham's role as a "star player" is helping out a bit, since there are no real household "Soccer" player names in the U.S, but Beckham is helping to change that.

HenryEigth United States Profile image 100x100
# 8

I think that Becks is a big part of why soccer is becoming more popular in the US and perhaps he envisioned that. Maybe he just wanted to work on growing his stardom in the US-there's so many factors involved, like sponsorship deals that he couldn't get at home.

# 9

David Beckham is the kind of guy that has name recognition, and name recognition for players is also what helps to sell tickets and merchandise. Who would you rather buy a Football jersey of, Beckham or somebody else you never heard of?

MCCANN FAN United States Profile image 100x100
# 10

In my opinion Football is definitely more popular than soccer. I cannot speak for other countries but I would say that for the countries where Soccer is the "Main Sport" to watch, it is only because that country does not have our style of football as a sport. Because if they did have (U.S.) football as a sport, no one would be watching Soccer anymore. I have tried to sit down and force myself to watch a game of Soccer in the past, and I COULD NOT get into it. It is just WAY TOO SLOW of a sport for me. (No Offense to the Soccer Fans out There ;) AMANDA

Cricket Crazy England Cricket crazy
# 11

I done think soccer is most popular than football..............

chicka99 Germany Profile image 100x100
# 12

i think it is obvious that soccer is more popular. exept of the usa and britain there are not any countries where the people play football or celebrate it like soccer. i am from berlin and i cannot remember any footballclubs in my closeness. when in summer it is the world cup, everybody hangs out his germany flags.even little children know whether manu has won the champions league or not, but about the red sox they dont know anything

fifaman11 United States Profile image 100x100
# 13

Um, on an international level Soccer (otherwise known as Football), is definitely more popular than American Football. I don't think you can even make a comparison. I'm American and I'm from New York but i still think its American ignorance/pride to even think that American Football is close in world popularity to soccer.

arbey Indonesia Profile image 100x100
# 14

American football is definitely an attractive game to watch. Soccer, yes it is a bit slower, but I suspect that's why soccer is more popular and acceptable to most countries outside US.

bunker United States Profile image 100x100
# 15

I think it is pretty obvious that Soccer still ranks below US Football and Baseball, but I think it is gaining more popularity. Worldwide though, soccer beats out the other sports easily!

dude India Profile image 100x100
# 16

if you take a poll worldwide, then of course soccer is more popular than football. Because the whole of Europe & most parts of Asia love soccer more than football & have football leagues.

1bigfan United States Profile image 100x100
# 17

I think that since so many kids are growing up playing soccer -or football, futball, whatever- and stay at home moms are even labeled "soccer moms" these days, that there will be a huge surge in popularity in just a few years.

fanManU United States Profile image 100x100
# 18

I think it Soccer is definitely more popular internationally than US Football. Soccer is gaining in popularity in the US every year. In my community in the MidWest US, more and more schools are adding soccer at the elementary school level. As children get accustomed to the sport it will gain popularity in the high schools and colleges.

alibaba United States Alibaba
# 19

Since I was a kid here in the U.S. I loved both sports. I never could quite grasp how to even throw a football and no one ever deemed it important to teach a young girl how. However, I learned how to play soccer as a girl scout at age 8 and continued to play for a few years. As I meet people from other cultures and countries and travel more and more I would say futbol (soccer) is more popular than football or even basketball with international folks at least. Instead of playing a pickup game of football or basketball, it's always, "Hey you wanna play some futbol?". One of my Indian friends even carries his soccer ball in his car, "just in case".

"Enthusiasm is everything. It must be taut and vibrating like a guitar string." — Pelé
Reply to Thread