Reigning UFC lightweight champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov, is expected to go against Conor McGregor back to the Octagon this year.
Although a date for the match between the two sensational fighters has not been set, the UFC brass are very interested on having both fighters go against each other sometime before the year ends in Las Vegas.
Former UFC middleweight challenger, Chael Sonnen, claimed last week that the biggest fight in the history of the promotion will be taking place on November 3 in Madison Square Garden during the UFC 230.
However, Nurmagomedov dismissed these talks just recently. He explained that Conor McGregor will not be able to compete during the event in “The Big Apple” since he has been denied a license by the New York State Athletic Commission.
According to Nurmagomedov, there are two possible dates which is October 6 or December 29. However, he said, “I do not fight in November because McGregor was denied a license and he will not be able to fight at the November tournament in New York.”
Nurmagomedov was hoping to go against McGregor sometime in October, stating, “I hope that the fight will be in October. Because I do not want to delay the defence of the belt.”
He adds, “I told the UFC that I was given any opponent, although if they give another fighter, not Conor, then I’m ready to fight in November.”
Conor McGregor has not fought in the Octagon since he claimed the lightweight title approximately 20 months ago during UFC 205. That time, he became the promotions first ever fighter with two-weight world championships. By April this year, he was relieved of his title because of his inactivity.
On the other hand, Nurmagomedov has not fought a match since he succeeded McGregor at the top during UFC 223. During the said match, he was able to defeat Al Iaquinta through unanimous decision.