Boxing Star Oscar De La Hoya Calls Out McGregor, Teases Return from Retirement

Oscar De La Hoya has issued a challenge out to Conor “The Notorious” McGregor. At the ripe old age of 44, De La Hoya says he’s been secretly training, is fit, and is ready now more than ever to fight a champion. Even if it’s nearly a decade since his last fight, he says that unlike Floyd Mayweather, he’ll be able to down McGregor in a mere 2 rounds.

Oscar, the Best Boxer of His Time

Oscar De La Hoya is a great boxer, more so during his time. In 1992, he won an Olympic gold medal and since then has amassed a total of 10 world titles in what was then a record of six weight divisions. He was also considered the biggest pay-per-view boxer during his time. In 2004, he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame. In terms of accomplishments, you really can’t say anything against De La Hoya.

The thing is, he hasn’t fought since his knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao on December 6, 2008. And after having lost three fights out of five, he finally announced his retirement. But according to his statement on air as a guest at the Golden Boy Radio with Tattoo and the Crew, a digital radio show that airs three hours daily, he’s been secretly training. According to De La Hoya, he’s faster and stronger than ever. But the biggest statement he made during that radio show was when he said he can take out Conor McGregor in just 2 rounds.

Oscar against the Mayweather-McGregor Match

This statement definitely comes as a shock after De La Hoya spent a lot time campaigning against the Mayweather-McGregor fight stating that such a match would be a “circus” and a “farce”. He also mentioned that if the fight did happen that the sport of boxing might not recover. He even went as far as denigrating the fight as nothing more than a money grab.

Oscar in It for the Money?

Whether or not Oscar De La Hoya is challenging McGregor for the money remains to be a mystery still. McGregor has not issued a statement yet and has responded to the challenge put out there by De La Hoya. A close friend of De La Hoya did mention that the boxer is seriously considering coming out of retirement and returning to the ring, even if it’s not against McGregor.

Asked whether Oscar would enter the cage to fight McGregor, he was vehemently clear that he would fight only in the boxing ring, stating that McGregor would destroy him in the cage.

Things Looking Up for Oscar?

It isn’t just the years of retirement and age difference that many people has to consider should the fight against McGregor happen. Oscar has been battling both drug and alcohol addiction. However, he’s been into rehabilitation, multiple times even, and stated himself that he’s doing very well now.

As for McGregor, he hasn’t expressed any sentiments about returning to the ring but has been desiring to get back into the cage. Many are expecting his debut in the UFC 219 this December, but it is unclear whether he has the go signal to do so after his Bellator 187 incident.

Maree cartujano
Sports Pundit staff writer
Sports writer and editor....

Comment on This Article

0 comments
Reply to