The Waterloo Hawks were a professional basketball team playing with the National Basketball League and later in the National Basketball Association.
The Waterloo Hawks were found in Waterloo in Iowa in 1948 and was owned by P.L. George. The team colors were black, gold and white. The team logo was a hawk carrying a basketball in its claws. The Hawks played at the McElroy Auditourium which is also known as the Waterloo Hippodrome, this served as their home arena.
In 1948, the Waterloo Hawks were a team playing with the National Basketball League. In 1949, the Waterloo Hawks were one of the 17 original teams that were a part of the National Basketball Association when the rival Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League merged to form the NBA. The Hawks were coached by Charley Shipp and Jack Smiley. They finished the season in the fifth position in the Western Division of the National Basketball Association behind the Fort Wayne Pistons with 26 wins and 42 losses. They could not qualify for the playoffs. The Waterloo Hawks comprised of Paul Cloyd, Ken Menke, John Pritchard, Elmer Gainer, Dale Hamilton, Al Miksis, Gene Ollrich, Johnny Orr, Jack Phelan, Bob Tough, Gene Stump, Charley Shipp, Hoot Gibson, Stan Patrick, Johnny Payak, Jack Smiley, Wayne See, Don Boven, Leo Kubiak, Harry Boykoff and Dick Mehen. Dick Mehen led the Waterloo Hawks that season in scoring average with 14.4 points per game while Leo Kubiak led in assists with 3.2 assists per game. In 1950, the Waterloo Hawks folded and became dysfunctional.
In a total of 62 games that the team played in their only season in the NBA, the Waterloo Hawks won 19 games and lost 43 games.