The Washington Capitols were a professional basketball team playing with the Basketball Association of America from 1946 and later with the National Basketball Association in 1949.
The Washington Capitols were found in 1946 in Washington D.C. The team logo was a basketball player carrying the Capital building. The team colors were green and white. The Capitols played their home games at the Uline Arena in Washington which served as the team arena.
In 1946, the Washington Capitols were a bonded team with the Basketball Association of America. They finished their first season with a record of 49 wins and 11 losses and qualified for the playoffs where they lost the semifinals. In 1947, the team was coached by Red Auerbach. The Capitols qualified to the playoffs once again with 28 wins and 20 losses finishing second in the division, however lost to the Chicago Stags in the western division tie breaker. In 1948, the Capitols were first in the division with 38 wins and 22 losses. They defeated the Philadelphia Warriors in the semifinals and the New York Knickerbockers in the divisional finals to play the Minneapolis Lakers in the BAA Finals. The Lakers however defeated the Capitols to win the BAA Championship. In 1949, the Capitols became part of the newly formed National Basketball Association. They were assigned to the Eastern Division of the NBA. In their first NBA season the Capitols finished third with a record of 32 wins and 36 losses and qualified to the playoffs where they were defeated by the New York Knickerbockers in the divisional semifinals. In 1950, the Capitols finished last in the division with 10 wins and 25 losses following which the team folded in 1951 and became dysfunctional.
In a total of 271 games that the Washington Capitols played in the BAA and the NBA, they won 157 games and lost 114 games.