Karl Malone is a former professional basketball player in the National Basketball Association. He played for the Utah Jazz from 1985 to 2003. He also played for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2003 to 2004. He also served as the assistant coach for Louisiana Tech from 2007 to 2011.
He has been named an NBA All-Star 14 times. He is also a two-time NBA Most Valuable Player and a two-time NBA All-Star Game MVP. Malone has also been named to the All-NBA First Team 11 times. Malone is also an Olympics gold medalist, winning twice, the first time in 1992 and again in 1996.
Player Profile and Personal Life
Karl Anthony Malone was born on July 24, 1963, in Summerfield, Louisiana in the United States. He stands 206 cm tall and his weight was last listed at 117 kg. He is the youngest of nine kids and was raised by a single mother.
He married Kay Kinsey in 1990. They have four kids together. Malone also has children outside of marriage with Bonita Ford. He also has another son with Gloria Bell – Demetress Bell, who played in the NFL.
High School and College Career
He played high school basketball for Summerfield High School. He later went on to play for Louisiana Tech University, playing under Coach Andy Russo. He stayed at the University from 1982 to 1985. While in college, he was named three times to the First-team All-Southland. In 1983, he was also named the Southland Player of the Year.
He was drafted into the NBA during the 1985 NBA Draft. He was chosen in the first round by the Utah Jazz. He was the 13th overall pick of the draft. In his first year with the NBA, he was named to the 1986 NBA All-Rookie First Team.
In 1988, he was named to the NBA All-Defensive Second Team. That year, he was also named to the All-NBA Second-Team. That was also the first year that he was named an NBA All-Star. The following year, he was named the NBA All-Star Game MVP for the first time.
In 1992 and 1996, he played for the United States in the Summer Olympics. Malone was named the NBA Most Valuable Player for the first time in 1997. He would be named the MVP again in 1999.
His last season in the NBA as a player was the 2003-2004 season. He played this with the Los Angeles Lakers. In February 2005, he announced his retirement from the NBA. After he retired, the Utah Jazz also retired his Jersey Number.
- 1997, 1999 - NBA Most ValuablePlayer
- 1988–1998, 2000–2002 - NBA All-Star
- 1989, 1993 - NBA All-Star Game MVP
- 1989–1999 - All-NBA First Team
- 1988, 2000 - All-NBA Second Team
- 2001 - All-NBA Third Team
- 1997–1999 - NBA All-Defensive FirstTeam
- 1988 - NBA All-Defensive Second Team
- 1986 - NBA All-Rookie First Team
1998 - IBM Award
- NBA anniversary team (50th, 75th)
No. 32 retired by Utah Jazz
- 1985 - Second-team All-American –NABC
- 1983 - Southland Player of the Year
1983–1985 - First-team All-Southland
No. 32 retired by Louisiana TechBulldogs
- Basketball Hall of Fame - 2010
- Gold - 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games
- Men’s Basketball
- Gold - 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games -Men’s Basketball
- Gold - 1992 Portland FIBA AmericasChampionship - Men’s basketball
- 2007-2011 - Louisiana Tech(Assistant)